Teacher Subject Specialism Training in Maths
We are now recruiting for the Maths Teacher Subject Specialism Training (TSST) programme for 2018/2019, which will be held at National STEM Learning in York.
Now in it’s fourth year, the programme provides free, high quality Mathematics Professional Development.
The course is aimed at Secondary & FE teachers in numerate disciplines who are intending to teach some maths or return to teach maths and would like to refresh their subject knowledge.
The aim of the programme is to:
- Enhance your mathematical knowledge to give you confidence to teach Maths
- Inspire your enthusiasm for Maths
- Provide you with motivating activities and tasks for teaching Maths
- Enhance your pedagogical skills in teaching Maths
The course will involve 8 twilight workshops in York, covering the following areas:
- Data analysis & statistics – Tuesday 27 November
- Computation & Number Theory – Monday 10 December
- Measurement – Thursday 17 January
- Algebra – Thursday 7 February
- Relations, functions & graphs – Monday 18 March
- Probability – Wednesday 3 April
- Transformations, vectors and matrices – Tuesday 18 June
- Pythagoras & trigonometry – Thursday 4 July
An e- learning and online assessment facility from the CIMT at Plymouth University will run alongside all topics. This will also provide certification for subject knowledge with the award of “Certificate Of Mathematical Mastery ” at three levels (distinction, merit, pass).
Participants will also have access to a 30-credit masters module “Teaching and Learning Mathematics through Problem Solving”. This module will be an added extra and not assessed.
Further general information on the programme can be found on the DfE website: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/teacher-subject-specialism-training-coursesTSST Application form 18/19