For Primary Schools
Primary Maths Subject Knowledge
This programme is aimed at Primary teachers who would like to develop their specialist knowledge for teaching mathematics. This may be particularly relevant for teachers who are new to teaching mathematics.
A key focus of the programme will be to improve the participants’ ability to “do” mathematics as well as ensuring they have the appropriate pedagogical knowledge to teach their pupils well. Subject knowledge will be linked to pedagogy. Teachers will develop enhanced mathematics subject knowledge with a particular emphasis on mathematical structures in key areas of mathematics
Classroom practice will develop through a series of gap tasks where teachers try out activities to promote depth of understanding, reasoning and fluency.
The programme will have an impact on year group planning and increased use of manipulatives and representations. Teachers’ understanding of lesson design will deepen to include better questioning and opportunities for mathematical talk.
- The programme will run over 4 full days and will focus on number sense, additive reasoning, multiplicative reasoning and fractions.
- A series of gap tasks between sessions will develop classroom practice.
- There is no cost to schools for participating in this programme,but there is a commitment to attending all three sessions, completing the gap tasks and completing the programme evaluations.
Dates & Venue
This programme will be running in two locations:
York: Ebor Business & Training Centre, Osbaldwick, York, YO10 3PR
- Day 1: Tuesday 14th January
- Day 2: Tuesday 25th February
- Day 3: Tuesday 17th March
- Day 4: Tuesday 21st April
Driffield: Driffield School & Sixth Form, Manorfield Rd, Driffield YO25 5HR
- Day 1: Thursday 30th January
- Day 2: Wednesday 4th March
- Day 3: Thursday 26th March
- Day 4: Thursday 30th April
All four sessions are full days (10:00 – 16:00). Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
To book a place please visit: www.yorkshireridingsmathshub.eventbrite.com