For Primary Schools
Primary Teaching For Mastery Work Groups
We are now recruiting primary schools to participate in Teaching for Mastery Work Groups.
This programme is for schools who have a commitment to developing a teaching for mastery approach.
Each Work Group will be led by a NCETM trained Primary Mastery Specialist and will run over three years. During the programme, schools will work closely together to introduce and develop approaches to teaching for mastery.
What is involved?
- Teachers work together with the Mastery Specialist in half-termly Teacher Research Group (TRG) meetings and through an online community
- Each school receives a termly support visit from the Mastery Specialist to observe teaching, support in-school TRGs, and work with the lead teachers and head teacher in developing an action plan for the school
- The head teacher works with the Mastery Specialist and other Maths Hub’s leadership to develop whole school policies and structures to support teaching for mastery
- The lead teachers, supported by the head teacher, work with colleagues to develop teaching for mastery approaches in the classroom, supported by professional development activity
- Following the first year the schools are expected to then continue being part of the Work Group for a second ‘Embedding Mastery’ year and a third ‘Sustaining Mastery’ year. Schools will be supported by the Maths Hub to continue to act as a network that supports schools in their development of teaching for mastery
What are the benefits?
- High quality support for teacher professional development for the lead teachers, facilitated by the Mastery Specialist
- Support for the head teacher in addressing leadership issues related to teaching for mastery from the Mastery Specialist and the Maths Hub’s leadership
- Opportunity to work closely with other schools also developing teaching for mastery
- No charge for participation and a grant of £1000 to help subsidise teacher release time
- Matched funding to support the school in buying approved text books (subject to DfE confirmation)
We have vacancies for schools to work with our Mastery Specialists in the following areas: