For Secondary Schools & Post 16
Level 3 - Core Maths
Core Maths is a post 16/Level 3 qualification taken alongside A Levels or other level three qualifications, complementing a range of academic and technical programmes. It is designed for students to retain, deepen and extend their knowledge and skills from GCSE, as well as studying and applying new level three material relevant to their needs.
The primary focus is on using and applying mathematics and statistics to address authentic problems from real-life scenarios, drawn from study, work and life, with an emphasis on problem solving. Core Maths is about students doing meaningful mathematical problems to increase their confidence in using mathematics to be better equipped for the mathematical demands of other courses, higher education and employment.
Core Maths has three key objectives:
- deepen competence in the selection and use of methods and techniques
- develop confidence in representing and analysing authentic situations and in applying mathematics to address related questions
- build skills in mathematical thinking, reasoning and communication
- to better equip students for the mathematical demands of other courses, higher education and employment.
This year we are working in conjunction with STEM Learning and the AMSP to bring you the following training programme:
Supporting Teachers of Core Maths
This is a year-long support programme for teachers of Core Maths. The programme is ideal for teachers who are preparing to offer Core Maths, teachers delivering Core Maths for the first time as well as those wishing to develop their Core Maths teaching.
By joining the workgroup, teachers will have access to free CPD sessions tailored to the needs of the group. Delivery will draw on the expertise of a range of specialists. Sessions cover subject knowledge and pedagogy as appropriate.
Examples of areas covered:
- The ethos of Core Maths
- How to make Core Maths different from GCSE maths
- Problem solving strategies
- Using and adapting resources
- Assessing Core Maths
- The requirements of different qualifications
- Using the pre-release material
Participation in the programme is free of charge and is available to all schools in the Yorkshire Ridings Maths Hub regions: York, North Yorkshire & the East Riding.
For more information please get in touch: