For Primary Schools
Primary Mastery Readiness
Who can take part?
The Mastery Readiness Programme is for primary schools that want to adopt teaching for mastery in maths, but would benefit from a staged approach.
Schools that are successful in implementing sustained and meaningful change through teaching for mastery have key foundations already in place.
These key foundations include:
- shared vision and culture around the importance of maths
- a belief that every child can achieve highly in maths
- a positive mindset towards maths amongst all staff
- good maths subject knowledge amongst teachers and TAs
- systems that maximise learning, such as timetabling, intervention, curriculum and pedagogical approaches
- teaching of arithmetical proficiency for all children, to support mathematical fluency by reducing cognitive load
- ongoing staff development, which is valued by all staff and senior leaders.
Mastery Readiness Leads
These expert practitioners work as part of Maths Hubs leadership teams. They are experienced in school improvement work, as well as teaching for mastery. Working with the headteacher and maths lead, they construct a bespoke programme for each school’s needs.
This will usually include:
- around six support visits to the school from the Mastery Readiness Lead
- regular development workshops (for the maths lead, one other teacher and sometimes also the head) with other local schools on the programme.
Completing the Mastery Readiness Programme takes a year. After this, schools are prioritised for a place on the high-profile Teaching for Mastery Programme with their Maths Hub. As part of this programme, they benefit from two further years of support.
What is the cost?
There is no charge for participation in this programme. However, schools must ensure that staff are released to engage in the workshops and school visits, and that the headteacher attends events where appropriate.
How can you find out more?
- Read a case study of a school on the pilot Mastery Readiness Programme in Northumberland.
- Download or print a flyer for the programme.
How can I get involved?
If you would like to take part in the Mastery Readiness Programme in 22/23, please complete the application form below and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.orgMastery Readiness: Application Form
Feedback from past participants:
"Quality afternoon and I have to admit you nailed it! You achieved so much in such a short time."
"Your passion for maths has had a chance to permeate my school today and that is such a good thing."
"You saw exactly what the school needed and you also spotted where we were at in respect of moving on in thinking, planning and receptiveness to new ideas. "