For Secondary Schools
Specialist Knowledge for Teaching Mathematics - Secondary (Non-specialists)
This project is designed to support non-specialist teachers teaching maths in a secondary school in developing specialist knowledge for teaching mathematics, thus enabling them to understand, teach and support pupils in maths in the classroom.
Who can take part?
This programme is for non-specialist teachers of maths in state-funded schools who fit the following definition:
A non-specialist teacher of mathematics is ‘a teacher that is currently teaching some mathematics who has not undertaken initial teacher training (ITT) in mathematics’.
If there is sufficient space in the cohort, other teachers of maths who do not fit this definition but would benefit from this support may also participate.
What will you learn?
- explore and increase their use of a range of pedagogic approaches consistent with teaching for mastery
- increase their confidence in planning for progression in maths
- improve their subject and curriculum knowledge of secondary maths with a particular emphasis on mathematical structures in key areas.
Session dates and themes:
The programme is aligned to the NCETM teaching for mastery pedagogy and is based on six key themes:
- Thursday 4th November – Structure of the number system
- Thursday 6th January – Operating on number
- Thursday 27th January – Multiplicative reasoning
- Thursday 24th February – Sequences and graphs
- Thursday 7th April – Statistics and probability
- Thursday 5th May – Geometry.
Participants will explore these themes, supported by an experienced secondary practitioner.
We have produced a flyer which summarises the programme and its benefits. Download it to share with colleagues.
What is the cost?
The SKTM Secondary Non-specialists project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools.
How can I get involved?
We will be starting to recruit for this project shortly. If you would like to express an interest in taking part, please get in touch using the form below.