For Post 16
Supporting Post-16 GCSE Resit
The primary focus for 2021/22 will be Post-16 GCSE resit pedagogy to support Covid recovery
This project will explore effective ways of teaching key content to GCSE resit students, and effective ways of working with teachers of post-16 resit GCSE in the context of Covid recovery. Participants will, through collaboration and experimentation, deepen their knowledge and understanding of the curriculum demands of GCSE Maths and their awareness of pedagogical approaches that best support students taking GCSE for the second time.
Participants’ departments will, through shared good practice, become more effective at teaching GCSE resit. This will come from exploring wider and more confident use of teaching approaches such as bar modelling, multiplicative reasoning, realistic contextualisation or teaching for mastery approaches.
Who can take part?
This project is for teachers of post-16 GCSE Maths resit and/or any head of department where post-16 GCSE Maths resit is taught. Participants may be based in FE colleges, sixth form colleges, schools with post-16 provision or other post-16 settings.
What is involved?
This project will have three days (or equivalent) of direct meeting time, which will be adapted to suit the needs of the group (eg. three full day face-to-face sessions, six part-day/twilight sessions, or a blended mix of face-to-face and online meetings).
Participants ideally would be representing their institution and working with colleagues in between Work Group attendance.
What will you learn?
Participants and their departments will:
- improve their awareness of key concepts and themes relevant to the context of GCSE resit
- increase their awareness of appropriate pedagogies to help students make connections and deepen understanding
- share approaches to planning and delivery of key concepts with the Work Group and with departmental colleagues
- develop teaching and learning approaches and pedagogy to promote engagement of students
- work towards increased localised support and collaboration between 11-16 schools, FE colleges, sixth form colleges and 11-18 schools.
What is the cost?
The Supporting Post-16 GCSE Resit project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools/colleges.
How can I get involved?
Recruitment for this Work Group will begin shortly. If you would like to express an interest in taking part, please get in touch using the following form: