For Secondary Schools
Teacher Subject Specialism Training in Maths
Our DfE funded Teacher Subject Specialist (TSST) programme is designed to enable non maths specialists to teach maths as an additional subject or to refresh the subject knowledge of specialist maths teachers returning to the profession. The programme is also suitable for primary teachers moving into secondary maths teaching.
Full information on eligibility can be found on the DfE website.
The aim of the programme is to:
• Enhance your mathematical knowledge to give you confidence to teach Maths
• Inspire your enthusiasm for Maths
• Provide you with motivating activities and tasks for teaching Maths
• Enhance your pedagogical skills in teaching Maths
The programme consists of 8 twilight online pedagogy sessions, delivered by experienced facilitators from the National STEM Learning Centre in York.
The sessions will run at 4pm – 5.30pm on the following dates:
- 19th November: Data handling
- 3rd December: Computation and number theory
- 17th December: Measurement
- 14th January: Algebra
- 4th February: Relations, functions and graphs
- 23rd February: Probability
- 11th March: Transformations & vectors
- 25th March: Introduction to trigonometry
An e-learning and online assessment programme from the University of Plymouth will run alongside the online pedagogy sessions.
How can I get involved?
To reserve your place, please complete and return the application form.
If you have any questions regarding the programme, please get in touch!