Developing Core Maths Pedagogy
The programme involves a partnership between the Yorkshire Ridings Maths Hub and the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP). Teachers across the whole of Yorkshire are welcome to join this blended programme.
Who can take part?
This workgroup is for anyone who currently teaches Core Maths and wishes to develop their practice. Teachers who will be teaching Core Maths in future years are also welcome.
What is involved?
The programme will give teachers opportunities, through collaboration and experimentation, to develop improved teaching approaches that support the open-ended problem-solving skills Core Maths students need to develop, and they share these with departmental colleagues.
Participants will design and trial classroom activities, sharing and reflecting on their experiences with others in the Work Group.
The project involves a direct working partnership between the Maths Hubs Network and the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP).
Aims of the Work Group
- Share approaches to the planning and delivery of the Core Maths curriculum
- Apply related pedagogical approaches in their Core Maths teaching
- Teach mathematical concepts and processes effectively through contextualised problem-solving
- Identify and make effective use of existing Core Maths resources
- Have raised awareness of the use of maths and statistics in everyday life
- Have increased their confidence in their mathematical understanding and developed further mathematical understanding and skills in the application of maths to authentic problems
- Be better placed to continue their learning in Core Maths and to progress to HE
What is the cost?
The Developing Core Maths Pedagogy programme is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme and the AMSP so is free to participating schools/colleges
How can I get involved?
If you would like to book a place on this Work Group for the 23/24 academic year, please click on the link below to complete a booking form.