Subject Knowledge for Primary
Who can take part?
These programmes are designed for primary teachers who would like to develop their specialist knowledge for teaching maths. This may be particularly relevant for teachers that have moved phases or have not received maths-specific training.
What is involved?
This project is designed to improve the subject knowledge and pedagogical knowledge for all practitioners teaching and supporting the learning of primary maths.
There are two pathways: Number and Spatial Reasoning. Each pathway consists of several core units and looks at specific topics as well as policy and practice. Exploration of modules in these pathways will take place during the course of the academic year, over the equivalent of four days. Participants in the programme may wish to follow one pathway this year, and the other pathway next year.
What is the cost?
The Subject Knowledge for Primary Teachers Programme is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools.
What will you learn?
- Your pupils will demonstrate a positive attitude towards maths, being willing to have a go, persevere, and share their mathematical ideas
- Your pupils will be able to explain their maths and their mathematical thinking using appropriate language
- You will review your practice as a result of the sessions and make practice-specific adaptations to impact on pupil outcomes
- You will enhance your maths subject knowledge with an emphasis on the key structures in each mathematical area covered
2023-24 Dates & Venues:
The programme will run over 4 full days:
Spatial Reasoning - New Earswick Folk Hall, York
- 11th January 2024
- 14th March 2024
- 25th April 2024
- 13th June 2024
Number - BioTech Campus, York **NOW FULL**
- 13th December 2023 **NOW FULL**
- 17th January 2024 **NOW FULL**
- 20th March 2024 **NOW FULL**
- 25th June 2024**NOW FULL**
"Interactive and break out rooms were good with clear slide shows. You were not made to feel singled out. A good pace to the training and clear explanation of terminology and ideas to use within your setting"
How can I get involved?
The Number pathway is now full for the 23/24 academic year. If you would like to apply for a place on the Spatial Reasoning pathway for the 23/24 academic year, please click on the link below to complete a short form.